Pages

Sunday 23 March 2014

Toile fitting part 2

After establishing what needs to be altered on my toiles I deconstructed them ready to add the extra pieces on the seams.

Thankfully the seams had only been tacked in so they came out really easy. I only machine stitch the seams once I’m happy with the fit.

As I don’t know how much extra I need to increase the seams by I over estimated the amount required – in this case two inches – so I know I won’t forget the seam allowance. Once bitten, twice shy....


Normally when you stitch two bits of fabric together it’s rights sides together etc. Not this time. I need to be able to transfer the measurements from the toile directly to the paper pattern so I laid the add-on bits under the main pieces then zigzag stitch them in place.

It’s not pretty to look at, what with all the raggy bits, but as it's a test garment, it doesn't matter.

The next step will be to pin the toiles onto ‘Gertie’ my tailor’s dummy so I can fit the seams.

Have a great week.

Love,

Gertie xx

PS why not pop over to Handmade Monday to see what other fellow craft bloggers have been up to.

14 comments:

  1. I'm confused about all this with toiles - maybe when Gertie is revealed in all her glory things will seem clearer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the best way to describe what I'm doing is adding extra fabric to my test garment in order to make it fit.

      Once I know how much extra I've added I'll then add that amount to the paper pattern. Does that make sense now ? xx

      Delete
  2. Have to admit I didn't quite follow - but I am sure it makes complete sense to you and you are going to have great fitting garments due to all this care with the fitting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit even I've been know to scratch my head in bamboozlement at some of the techniques used to alter patterns.... xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your other message. I have to say the biggest surprise was about your name. I did think you were really called Gertie! Your toiles have inspired me, and also the fact that when I opened my sewing pattern it seemed so complicated. So I am going to make at least the top of the dress in something like calico, partly for fitting, but mainly just to see if I can do it, before cutting the real fabric. Though as you can see got a bit sidetracked today. Still the Easter holiday is coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gertie is my alias. I was after a name for my blog and just decided to call it after my tailors dummy. Sad I know !!!!!

      Good luck with the toile fitting. If you find that you need to make the skirt part of the dress to see how it fits with the bodice just make the length long enough to cover the bum area. If you have any problems just drop me a line and I'll be happy to help xx

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see the finished dress, especially as it will fit you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dressmaking blog posts have been great - rather like watching the Sewing Bee programme on the televisioon. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think May and Patrick would approve of my sewing methods... xx

      Delete
  6. It's so much fun to see lovely dress being made. I'm excited to see it when you are done. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting that your delving into dressmaking. Is this by any chance inspired by the Great British Sewing Bee?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no. I've been dressmaking for many years. Here's a couple of links of some of the dresses I've made xx

      http://gertiesmakesandbakes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/heres-one-i-made-earlier.html

      http://gertiesmakesandbakes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/heres-another-one-i-made-earlier.html

      Delete