Pages

Sunday 30 March 2014

Toile fitting part 3

Now that the extra seam strips of fabric have been attached to the various pieces, the toile could then have another fitting on ‘Gertie’ my tailors dummy.


Before I started working on the toiles Mr Gertie gave me a hand to measure my ‘vital statistics’ so I could then transfer the figures onto my tailors dummy.

Using an up-to-date bra I filled it with lots of toy stuffing to replicate my rather large bust then secured wadding around the waist and tum to represent my spare tyres... 

 
 Having roughly pinned the toile together beforehand I was then able to reposition them so it fitted better on ‘Gertie’.

 

Once I was happy with the fit I marked the pin lines with tailors chalk so I could tack the seams ready for another fitting on ‘Gertie’.
 

I added the collar this time, as having altered the front of the toile I needed to see how that looked.


As you can see by the way the collar is folding, it needs to be reshaped. I also noticed that the left front side (if you’re looking straight at it) wasn’t sitting on the bust compared to the right side. This puzzled me as I measured both front sides and they were about the same size, so I couldn’t understand why it wasn’t fitting right.

I tried the toile on myself just in case ‘Gertie’s bust’ wasn’t sitting straight. The results, however, were still the same.

I asked Mr Gertie if he could take a look (a fresh pair of eyes and all that) and he suggested that there appeared to be too fabric in the front pleat panel. If I made that panel smaller just on the left side then hopefully that will bring the left bust up.

I bet May and Patrick don’t have this much trouble !!!!!

Have a great week.

Love,

Gertie xx

PS why not pop over to Handmade Monday to see what other fellow craft bloggers have been up to.

16 comments:

  1. Looking good, hope you manage to fix the little issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness i do admire you tackling such a complex project! It lovely to see the stages each week and i'm looking forward to seeing the dress completed :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting to see the stages building over the weeks. Looking forward to the next instalment. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have reminded me of having to stand and have clothes fitted as a child for what seemed an age. At least your dummy won't wriggle and complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those memories too. I would never stand still so would always get stabbed with the pins. As you can imagine my mam was full of sympathy..... xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you for talking me through how to make a toile so that it fits! The finished garment will be wonderful I'm sure, fitting perfectly in all the right places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I don't put any weight on between now and the cruise, what with Easter (lots of chocolate !!!!) coming up .... xx

      Delete
  7. I am really enjoying seeing how you progress with this dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's looking great, I admire the dedication to getting it right before you use the actual fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so much fun to see how this lovely dress is coming together. I know this is the toile but it looks like it could be a dress too. Lovely design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fascinating - and you would be good on GBSB as you're already criticising your own work like they do to the contestants!!

    ReplyDelete