Pages

Sunday 1 June 2014

Come in number two

Just a quickie post this time as I’ve got a pile of new trousers which need their hems taking up ready for our forthcoming cruise – the curse of both myself and Mr Gertie being on the short side !!!!

Sorry there was no blog last week. Shortly after my last post I came down with one of those mega heavy colds that really take the wind out of your sails. Consequently that put my sewing out of action so I had a lot of catching up to do if I wanted to get my dress finished for our holiday.

Having burnt the candle at both ends dress number two is finally done. Yippee!!!

If you’ve been following my cruise dress adventures you may remember that my second dress pattern choice didn’t go according to plan. I did have number three pattern in reserve; however that didn’t go to plan neither.... The place where I ordered it from kept sending me the wrong size. Rather than find somewhere else to purchase it from, I took it as a sign that I wasn’t meant to make that particular dress.

Because time was running out I just decided to re-use one of my old patterns. I had to make the pattern a little bigger as I’ve put a few pounds in weight (middle age spread – that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it....). Plus the dress needs to be a little loose as I’ll be using Stickies to walk with and can’t have anything too tight around the arms.


The beauty of a toile is your fabric doesn’t have to match....


 Unlike the original dress which was floor length this time I’ve gone for a shorter hem. Whilst it looks like a sack of potatoes on Gertie it does look better on me.....


Have a great week.

Gertie xx

PS why not pop over to Handmade Monday to see what other fellow craft bloggers have been up to.

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful dress, I hope you have a fabulous time on your cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting to see your dressmaking skills. This dress looks like it will be lovely. I'm excited to hear about your cruise adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the ship has wifi I'll be putting up a blog or two of our adventures xx

      Delete
  3. It looks lovely - do show us the pics of you wearing your makes, and of the cruise. Glad you're over the lurgy in time. Have a great trip, Chris # 14 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask the butler (our suite comes with one !!!!) to take a couple of photos of myself and Mr Gertie all dressed up in our finest posh frocks xx

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your cold has well and truly gone. I was thinking you could start a new fashion with different fabrics for each part of the dress :)
    The design looks lovely. Looking forward to seeing the finished dress.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great way of using up left over fabric - waste not, want not.... xx

      Delete
  5. I still covet your Gertie! I did read the link you sent and was very excited at first bit am too scared by the necessary wrapping myself up :( Hope you enjoy your cruise in your lovely unique dresses! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would be lost without Gertie. Why not ask Santa for one for Christmas. They're not as expensive as you think xx

      Delete
  6. Looks beautiful. Have a lovely trip. Best to get the cold out of the way before you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some strange reason I always seem to get a cold either just before or in the middle of our cruise. Thankfully this time it was before xx

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you're over your horrible cold now, they can really slow you down can't they. You've made fantastic progress with dress number two, the purple fabric is sooo pretty :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why people mistake colds for the flu as they can really take it out of you xx

      Delete
  8. Well done! That shiny fabric is a do dah to work with. You are going to look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations of finishing your dress! I sympathise with the trouser hemming- I am short myself and hat hemming trousers- but sometimes I now buy cropped trousers and they fit as a full length trouser perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea - I'll have to remember that next time xx

      Delete